Be Still My Friend
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hi Friends! Did you know it's absolutely free to post topics and comment on various discussions within our community? All we require is for you to Register so that we can count you as one of our community members. Just scroll to the top of the page and find the Register Link! Many people can learn from your wealth of wisdom.

Go down
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Participation Score : 26

Help: How do you end a friendship in a nice way?  Empty Help: How do you end a friendship in a nice way?

on Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:25 pm
I’m having trouble cutting ties with a friend. We are like childhood mates (lived a few doors from each other, both families are close etc). We were always close up until I got into a serious relationship (she’s still single). Now I feel like we have nothing in common, our life paths are so different! When we talk it’s like we are debating with each other all the time (so frustrating). I hardly see her now because I live with my partner. I’ve tried distancing myself from chatting to her over the phone but I’m even tired of doing that. Has anyone had to cut a friendship tie (without too much drama please)?
Leesah
Participation Score : 8

Help: How do you end a friendship in a nice way?  Empty Re: Help: How do you end a friendship in a nice way?

on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:10 pm
This is tricky, but something we all need to be stern enough to take on in our journey of adulthood.
I have something similar in my sphere however it is not easy to approach the other person.
Toby92
Toby92
Participation Score : 28

Help: How do you end a friendship in a nice way?  Empty Re: Help: How do you end a friendship in a nice way?

on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:14 pm
I think just try and explain to her that your growth looks different to hers, and right now in your life you need to be surrounded by people that are going to push you towards your goals. It doesn't mean that you don't love her but maybe it's a good idea for the both of you to focus on your individual paths. Hopefully she understands!
Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa
Participation Score : 26

on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:36 pm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Yeah it's definitely not easy but as you said it's part of adulthood and I'm at a point in my life where I can't do lukewarm connections. Like I struggle. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] yeesss "your growth looks different to hers" thank you for this. I feel like that explains how I feel without burning bridges? We are just growing at a different pace to each other and that's okay.
Be Still My Friend
Be Still My Friend
Admin
Participation Score : 18

on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:50 pm
It's so common for people to outgrow friendships. You shouldn't feel guilty about this @MotherTeresa. I love how passionate you are about the growth and plans that are happening in your life. Being transparent to your friend about the ways you have changed and the direction you are taking will feel less like rejection and more like a time-out. Don't be afraid to tell her that this next season of your life, you want to explore new friendships that will challenge you and help you progress in these goals you have.
Toby92
Toby92
Participation Score : 28

on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:23 pm
Sometimes friendships can be suffocating man. Especially when you are not growing in that friendship. There are so many people you haven't met who can open your mind and teach you new skills.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum